In its effort to conserve and develop wayang, the vision of SENA WANGI is the desire to make wayang one of the pillars of national culture. For this purpose, the art of wayang should become a vehicle and mouthpiece of culture in order to uplift the quality and standard of humanity.
- To develop the art of wayang in accordance with the challenges of the present age;
- To establish its role as a body for the conservation, preservation, and innovation of the art of wayang;
- To increase the appreciation of society with regards to the arts of wayang;
- To execute communication and collaboration with organizations, bodies, governmental organizations and private individuals both within Indonesia and overseas in developing wayang.
SENA WANGI (Sekretariat Nasional Pewayangan Indonesia – National Secretariat for Wayang Indonesia) is a social culture organization established on 12 August 1975. the organization is domiciled in Jakarta, with the basic task of coordinating activities for conservation and development of wayang and the art of puppet performance in Indonesia.
SENA WANGI is the national secretariat of wayang and puppetry art organizations. Its members are the various wayang and puppetry artists and cultural experts as well as prominent members of the society. SENA WANGI is an independent, self-supporting social organization which is endeavoring to develop wayang to become a force in the field of national culture.
| Major Activities
- The strategic program of SENA WANGI involves three basic programs, namely research and development, documentation and information, and overseas connections.
- Formulation and establishment of policy for conservation and development of wayang.
- Research and development of wayang, both classic and innovative.
- Documentation and information about wayang though Pusat Data Wayang Indonesia (PDWI – Indonesia wayang database center)
- Development of organizations, bodies, and traditional school of wayang (sanggar).
- Seminar and other meetings.
- Development of the human resources involved in wayang, namely artists, experts, and lovers of wayang.
- Development of critique of wayang.
- Maintenance of good connections with international organizations, foundations, and experts.
- To increase the abilities of the organization and its committee members in carrying out their duties;
- To carry on close and effective collaboration with governmental bodies and departments as well as private organizations and private individuals both within Indonesia as well as overseas.
Research and Development
- Research regarding the philosophy of wayang, the noble values contained in wayang, and the development of wayang along with the challenges of the age;
- Development of classic wayang as well as new innovations;
- Conservation and development of rare styles of wayang.
Documentation and Information about Wayang
- Research and documentation of all the exiting types of wayang found in Indonesia. It is estimated that there are more than a hundred types of wayang;
- Development of PDWI (Pusat Data Wayang Indonesia – Indonesia Centre for Wayang Database). PDWI is a multimedia database containing information regarding all aspects of wayang. This electronics data center is connected both nationally and internationally.
- Publication of books regarding wayang, such as an Encyclopedia of Wayang, manuscripts for books on wayang, a wayang journal, and updating of the wayang magazine Cempala and others.
Appreciation of Wayang
- To motivate wayang organizations, especially PEPADI (Persatauan Pedalangan Indonesia – Indonesia Puppeteers Union), traditional schools of wayang, as well as private and governmental bodies related to the field of wayang arts to organize performances of wayang;
- To organize periodic festival of wayang. Indonesia Wayang Week is held once every five years, and various other wayang festivals and performances are held annually;
- Performances of wayang especially for broadcast media (TV programs, films, videos, etc).
- To pioneer and motivate the formation of the ASEAN Puppetry Association as one form of ASEAN collaboration in the social and cultural field;
- To actively participate in the international puppetry organization UNIMA (Union Internationale de la Marionette);
- To collaborate with UNESCO for conservation and development of wayang which has become a cultural masterpiece of the world;
- To participate in various festivals of puppetry, meetings, and other international events;
- To establish collaboration and communication with puppetry artists and experts in the field of puppetry overseas.
SENA WANGI manages a wayang building (Gedung Pewayangan Kautaman) situated in the area of TMII (Beautiful Indonesia in Miniature), Jakarta. This is a multipurpose building that is used for various cultural and public functions.