- To coordinate and cooperation among artists, enthusiasts, and experts in the field of puppetry in ASEAN countries;
- To endeavor carrying out documentation, information, and conservation of all forms and styles of puppetry existing in ASEAN, as part of the ASEAN countries’ heritage;
- To organize exhibitions, festivals, and exchange artists and experts in the field of puppetry among the countries of ASEAN and those beyond;
- To coordinate efforts towards human resources development in the field of puppetry in ASEAN;
- To encourage cooperation to further the aims and objectives of ASEAN in the field of culture, as recalled in the Declaration;
- To facilitate the programs of national associations of puppetry in ASEAN countries where such associations exist, and to foster the establishment of such associations in ASEAN countries that do not yet have national puppetry associations;
- To liaise with Union Internationale de la Marionnette (UNIMA) with respect to the conservation and development of puppetry within ASEAN;
- To initiate and pursue projects organized towards the sustainability of the Association.
APA was established on 1 December 2006. The declaration of its establishment was signed at the Indonesian Vice Presidential Palace, Jakarta, by all ten representatives of the ASEAN member countries, each with its own national puppetry organizations: Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam; and was witnessed by Indonesian Vice President H.E. Mr. Jusuf Kalla.
APA’s Key Official:
- Presidium Chairman: Mr. Danny Liwanag (Philippines)
- Secretary General: Mr. Suparmin Sunjoyo (Indonesia)
- Treasurer: Mr. Haji Abdul Hakim (Brunei Darussalam)
| Major Activities
Following its establishment in 2006, APA convened its regular meetings as follows:
- The first meeting of APA was held in Palembang, South Sumatera, Indonesia, from 5 to 7 September 2007.
- The second meeting of APA was held in Yogyakarta, Indonesia, from 12 to 13 December 2008,
- The third meeting of APA and its related activities was held for the first time outside of its birth place (Indonesia), at the Philippine University in Manila, the Philippines, from 23 to 28 February 2010.
- The fourth meeting of APA was held at Malaya University, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, from 1 to 4 November 2011.
- The fifth meeting of APA was held in Singapore, at the Old Parliament House, in Singapore from 24 to 25 January 2013.
- The sixth meeting of APA was held in Hanoi, Vietnam, from 19 to 21 June 2014.
- The seventh meeting of APA was held in Mojokerto, East Java, Indonesia, from 30 November to 6 December 2016.
Besides holding regular meetings, festivals, seminars, and exhibitions, ASEAN Puppetry Association (APA) publishes the APA Newsletter. So far, eight issues have been released. In addition, after four years of preparation, the book Heritage of ASEAN Puppetry was published the book.